Love 'em anyways.

"I love them, BUT they are really ____."

How many times have you said that? I know I have said it more than I like to admit. Time and time again, I have asked God to just change a person. "God, it would be so much easier if they _____." God, COME ON! Just take away this part of their life, and add in all these good aspects.

God, I wish my parents knew You and loved You so they could understand this whole ministry thing. Then, with the same breath, I would ask God to make my parents and I's relationship much better, to fix everything wrong with it. I couldn't figure out why things weren't happening, why things weren't adding up. Upon talking to a middle schooler about drama that she was in, I said the phrase "Love 'em anyways." And it was like someone put a brick wall in front of me, because I just stopped and thought to myself "Oh my gosh. That's what I need to do."

So, as soon as I would begin complaining about my parents to God, I would stop and say "Love 'em anyways."

"God, why can't they just…no, no. Love 'em anyways."
"God, they are SO…No. Love 'em anyways."
"God, WHY?? Love 'em anyways."

Love them during the times when they are the worlds greatest parents. Love them during the times when you question everything about why they do what they do. Love them whenever they are confusing, difficult, stubborn, etc.

After all, isn't that what I would want?

I don't want for people's love for me to be based upon what I do right. I don't want for their love for me to be based upon times whenever I was making all the right choices.

I want them to love me unconditionally. I don't want there to be a "BUT" whenever people are talking about me. I want for people to love me for me, and not what I could be.

I can't be the only person that wants such love. I am also not the only person that deserves such love.

So, whenever someone is talking to you about someone else, maybe try the phrase "Love 'em anyways." Or tell yourself that phrase whenever your wishing changes upon someone else's life.

Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. Love isn't just a strong feeling. It's a decision and a promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure Self

Why I Almost Walked Away.

The Anthem.